Skip to content


Bridging courses

Depending on students’ previous training, the academic committee for a doctoral programme may require that they pass specific bridging courses. Bridging courses will be subjects on official master’s degrees and will be agreed with tutors:

With respect to bridging courses, please bear in mind the following points:

Doctoral students must submit an application to enrol for the required subjects to the EEBE Academic Service for doctoral studies (form M).

The EEBE Academic Service will forward applications to the coordinator of the relevant master’s degree, who will authorise the enrolment if places are available. Documentation related to these subjects will be kept in the student’s doctoral academic record.

Official enrolment entitles students to sit examinations and be issued an official academic transcript for the subjects they complete.

The enrolment fee charged will be the official fee for master's degree subjects. The fee per credit therefore depends on where the student is from (essentially, whether they are European or non-European) and the type of master’s degree.

The doctoral programme academic committee will ensure that students successfully complete any bridging courses required.

Once any bridging courses required have been passed, students may enrol for the thesis tutorial stage.

Research plans may only be presented during this stage.


Tutorial stage

Enrolment for the thesis tutorial stage is annual. Students must enrol every academic year until they defend their thesis.


First-year enrolment

Ordinary period


First half of September.

Extraordinary period


By the deadline specified in the relevant admission decision (15 April at the latest).

During their first year of enrolment in the tutorial stage, students must prepare and present a research plan.

Doctoral students who begin their studies in the first semester must enrol for the research plan when they enrol for the tutorial stage. Doctoral students who enrol for the first time in the second semester may enrol for the research plan in September–October of the following academic year.


Second and successive enrolments

Ordinary period

Generally the last week of September and the first two weeks of October of each academic year.

Second and successive enrolments must be completed online via the: e-secretaria.

No extraordinary period

If you run into any difficulties, please contact the Academic Management Service for doctoral studies via Demana/SGA



Students who are entitled to a fee waiver must enrol in person and submit the following documents:

  • Enrolment application (form M)
  • A document certifying that the student is eligible for the fee waiver or discount

You can download the form here.


Enrolment for thesis submission

Open year-round, except for the last week of July and non-teaching periods (Christmas holidays, Holy Week and summer holiday period).

Enrolments are processed when it has been confirmed that all of the documents submitted are correct (see information on the thesis submission process).


Documents required to enrol

First enrolment must be completed in person. Students must provide the following documents:

  • Enrolment application (form M), signed by the student and their tutor or thesis supervisor.
  • National identity document, foreigner identity card, passport or other official ID (original and photocopy).
  • Degree certificate and official academic transcript for bachelor’s degree or equivalent (original and photocopy).
  • Degree certificate (or provisional degree certificate) and academic transcript for official master’s degree (original and photocopy).
  • If applicable, a document certifying that the student is entitled to a fee waiver or discount (original and photocopy).
  • If the enrolment fee is to be paid in instalments or by direct debit, a SEPA order.
  • Commitment agreement between the doctoral student and their thesis supervisor (two originals), signed by both parties. This document may be submitted at any time within three months of first enrolment. There are two formats: one for when the thesis supervisor is from the UPC (CDDT) and the other for when there is an external thesis supervisor (CDDT + DDTE).

N.B.: Foreign students must check whether they need to have their degree certificate legalised or translated before arriving in Spain.


Forms of payment

  • Direct debit.
  • Instalments.
  • Cash: payments must be made within five days at any of the collaborating banks listed on the enrolment document.
  • Credit card: you can pay by credit card via the e-Secretaria.
  • CaixaBank’s Línia Oberta payment service: you can pay using this service via the e-Secretaria.